S.S. "ORONSAY" of 1951 a very popular ship both in Britain and Australia
"ORONSAY" was built by Vickers-Armstrongs, she was launched 30.6.1950 and completed in 1951, the ship left on her maiden voyage from London to Sydney on the 16.5.1951. "ORONSAY's" design was similar to ORCADES although slightly smaller, she had 27.632 G.T.. Four months after her launching a fire broke out which lasted for nearly three days, so much water was pumped on board that there were fears that she would capsize, fortunately damage was not as bad as expected but her completion was delayed for over two months. "ORONSAY" was built as a liner for her Australian voyages but also with cruising in mind, she made her first cruise from Tilbury in the summer of 1952. In 1954 her profile changed slightly due to the addition of a "top hat" to her funnel to improve smoke dispersal. In 1964 "ORONSAY" like other Orient passenger liners came under P & O, her hull changed from corn to white. In 1972 the ship was cruising full time all year round especially from Australia, she became a one-class ship, in 1975 P & O announced that she would be withdrawn from service, she left Southampton for the last time on 4.8.1975, she sailed via Panama to Sydney from where she made her final cruise to Hong-Kong, on the 28.9.1975 she disembarked her passengers and proceeded to Kaohsiung to be broken up. "ORONSAY" always enjoyed great popularity both in Britain and Australia.